Take Me Out To The Ball Game!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Recipes By Demand

I've had some requests to post my recipes and I'm happy to share! First I must make the disclaimer that I haven't conjured up these recipes from my own little head.  Nope, I'm a recipe-hound for sure, and many recipes I've had since I was a child (what, you didn't read recipe books like Nancy Drew mysteries??)  I will always give credit when I know the source the recipe and I'll add my extra notes and helpful tips where I can.  Some of these recipes I've used for my personal chef clients and some are just some of my personal favorites.

Enjoy!

Romain Salad with Creamy Garlic Dressing & Roasted Garlic Croutons
Emeril Lagasse, 2005 Food Network

For the Roasted Garlic Puree:
10 heads garlic (@ 1 1/2 lbs)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

For The Croutons:
1/2 loaf French bread, cut into 16 (1/4 inch thick) slices
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

For The Creamy Garlic Dressing:
1/2 cup homemade or store bought mayonnaise
1/4 cup reserved Roasted Garlic Puree
3 TBS freshly grated Parmigiano-Regiano
2 TBS buttermilk
1 1/2 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

For the Salad:
1 head romaine lettuce, separated into leaves, rinsed, and patted dry
3/4 cup thinkly sliced red onions
1/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan, for garnish

To prepare the Roasted Garlic Puree:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminium foil

Cut the top quarter off each garlic head so the cloves are exposed.  Place the cut side up on the prepared baking sheet.  Drizzle the oil over the garlic and season lightly with salt and pepper.  Turn the garlic cut side down, Roast until the cloves are soft and golden brown, 1 - 1 hour 15 minutes.

Let the garlic cool.  Squeeze the soft garlic flesh from each head into a blow.  Mash the flesh with a fork to blend it into a puree.  (The puree can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.)  Reserve 1/4 cup of the puree for the croutons and 1/4 cup fo the puree to make the dressing.

To prepare the Croutons:
Increse the oven temp to 400 degrees F.

Spread the slices of bread on a large baking sheet.  Brush both sides of the slices with the olive oil, then season wtih the salt and pepper.  Bake until lightly golden brown, 10-12 minutes.  Cool slightly.  Spread the croutons with 1/4 cup fo the reserved raosted garlic puree.  Set aside.

To prepare the Dressing:
Mix the mayonnaise, reamining 1/4 cup of the garlic puree, cheese, buttermilk, and lemon juice in a medium bowl with a rubber spatula.  Season the dressing with salt and pepper.  (The dressing will in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 24 hours.)

Tear the large leaves of the lettuce into bite size pieces, and leave the smaller, tender leaves whole.  Toss in a large salad bowl with the sliced onions and desired amount o f dressing.  Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper, to taste.  Divide the greens among four salad plates and arrage four croutons on the side of each salad.  Garnish the tops of each salad with 1 TBS of shredded Parmesan.

No comments: