Take Me Out To The Ball Game!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Remembering The Good Ol' Days

  By most standards I have a stellar memory:  I remember friends from elementary school, I remember people I've met only once or twice and whatever details of their lives they've shared with me, I remember what I was wearing the day I met my future husband (a celery green cotton sweater and matching green jeans skirt--what was I thinking?  I'm a winter not a spring, but it was summer time in Denver and I had a wicked tan going), I also remember what my best friend Glynis was wearing the day I met her; she was rocking a Prince tee with a jeans skirt....size about negative to the 100th degree zero.  And I remember exactly where I was and what the weather was like the day God spoke to me and said, "what about Down syndrome?" 

  But for the life of me I can't remember the day my baby daughter waved at me, or started pointing with her fingers or did she "da da" before she said "focacia"?  I have NO IDEA.  A therapist recently asked me if I remember if she started using sentences at 2 years 3months....or was it more like 2 years 6months.  Are you KIDDING ME??  I had early intervention therapists in and out of the house at least five to six times a week, we attended playgroups, and we were transitioning our three year old son to preschool.  Our son who didn't walk, talk or feed himself.  Ya, I'm a little fuzzy on the subtleties of each of my daughter's days between birth and five years old.

  But, for those of you who haven't yet heard the giant sucking sound that is the vacuum of life sucking out your last six brain cells, you might find this article helpful, especially if you're wondering if there were any "signs" that your child was on the spectrum when he/she was younger.  As I read this, some things resonated with me and other things didn't.  Sometimes I think Asperger's "happened" to her when she was about five.  I don't know.  I don't know anything anymore and I'm mostly tired from trying to come up with answers for everything.  But I do think it's a good article, so enjoy!  Hope it helps you!  http://networkedblogs.com/hvhK5

No comments: